Centre of Excellence in Peer Support (Mental Health) Online Services
The Centre of Excellence in Peer Support (Mental Health) currently provides the following services online:
The Centre of Excellence in Peer Support (Mental Health) Forum has been developed to give people using or providing peer support services the opportunity to communicate with each other, thereby enabling a community of practice and enhancing the capacity of this sector.
Resources, Research and Service Map Directory of Services Databases
The Centre of Excellence in Peer Support (Mental Health) databases have been developed to provide ready access to a wide range of material about peer support. This includes resources and research to assist peer support services and peer support workers to enhance their service provision, health professionals and allied health professionals to access information about peer support, and people seeking to set up or join peer support services to access appropriate material. The Service Map Directory of Existing Services has been constructed to enable service mapping of existing services in order to reduce duplication, promote cross-communication between providers, and assist in raising awareness of the peer support services currently available in Victoria.
When you use the Forum you will be required to register online, and to tick a box to indicate that you:
- Are 16 years old or over;
- Have read and understand the purpose of the Centre of Excellence Online Services;
- Agree to abide by the following Terms and Conditions of Use.
Terms and Conditions of Use
- You must be 16 years of age or over to use the Centre of Excellence Online Services.
- You agree to use the Centre of Excellence Online Services only for the purposes for which they are intended, as described above.
- You are specifically prohibited from using Centre of Excellence Online Services to promote or advertise any goods or services, including specific treatment options and treatment services for Centre of Excellence in Peer Support (Mental Health); and from using the forums to solicit money, housing, shelter, transportation, or similar activities.
- You must not impersonate another community member, administrator, moderator or person.
- You must not use Centre of Excellence Online Services to attempt to deliver medical advice, diagnosis and /or treatment.
- While using Centre of Excellence Online Services, you must not disclose or request any contact details, personal information, or information that could identify you or any other person. Personal information includes your full name; identifying information about your home, work or school; email addresses, other online forum details such as msn, facebook, myspace, twitter, other social networking sites, blogs, etc. It is recommended that The Centre of Excellence Online Services are anonymous as communications are carried out in the public domain. Any personal or specific identifying information should be closely controlled.
- You must not post any material which you know is false, inaccurate, misleading, defamatory, libelous, offensive, harassing, obscene, pornographic, profane, threatening, abusive, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.
- The conversations and posts in Centre of Excellence Online Services are confidential. You agree not to repeat or copy the conversation or posts for other people. This prohibition includes copying and pasting conversations or posts to other online forums (e.g. Facebook). The conversations and posts in Centre of Excellence Online Services are for registered Centre of Excellence users only.
- You must not instigate fights or disharmony, or make any attempt to use the Centre of Excellence Online Services or information gathered here to cause harm to others.
- You must not use the Centre of Excellence Online Services while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Centre of Excellence does not tolerate racism, sexism, negative commentary against sexual orientation, comments that discriminate on the basis of religion, or any other form of discrimination. While using Centre of Excellence Online Services, you agree to conduct yourself similarly.
- You acknowledge that the content of the Centre of Excellence Online Services is not medical advice or counselling and should not be construed as or relied upon as medical advice or counselling.
- You agree that the opinions, statements, ideas, and individualities of others will be respected, even if you are not in agreement with said opinions, statements, ideas or individualities of others.
- Lurking, harassment, verbal abuse of another user, flooding and flaming will not be tolerated for any reason.
- Spamming, use of programs such as IRC clients, worms, bots scripts, or Trojan horses will not be tolerated for any reason. Initiation or participation in any such activity will cause you to be banned from using Centre of Excellence Online Services, and may be cause to report the behaviour to your ISP for termination of account. Be aware that we record the ISP of all visitors and users of the Forum.
- At the sole discretion of the Peer Support Project Coordinator, a person who appears to have a Chat Room Addiction may be banned for an indefinite time from using the Forum. Chat Room Addiction is when a person:
- is showing excessive signs of co-dependency when chatting with others.
- is chatting more than a few hours a day.
- is chatting instead of taking care of themselves physically or emotionally.
- is avoiding relationships with others by chatting online.
- You must not transmit or upload any information, software or other material which violates or infringes upon rights of others, including material which is an invasion of privacy or publicity rights or which is protected by copyright, trademark or other proprietary right, or derivative works with respect thereto, without first obtaining permission from the owner or right holder.
- You must not transmit any information, software or other material which contains viruses, time bombs, and Trojan horses; cancel bots, worms or other harmful or deleterious components or devices.
- The Centre of Excellence agrees to keep your email address and password confidential. The Centre of Excellence will not sell or in any way pass on your login information and personal details to a third party.
- The Centre of Excellence may collect, store and use any personal information provided by you through the registration and use of Centre Of Excellence Online Services for the purpose of assisting you to use the services and to provide you with information relevant to Centre Of Excellence in Peer Support.
- The Centre of Excellence may collect transcripts of online forums for the purposes of evaluation, research, training and quality assurance. Users will remain anonymous with any subsequent reports not including any identifying information connecting individual users to the transcripts.
- While considerable care has been taken by the Centre Of Excellence in creating and moderating Centre Of Excellence Online Services, all information given by users on the forums should be regarded as opinion only and never as fact. The Centre of Excellence makes no claims regarding the accuracy of material posted - neither static material (information pages) nor dynamic material (posted by community members/users).
- To the extent permitted by law: (a) the information contained in the Centre Of Excellence Online Services is provided "as is" without any express or implied warranty regarding its accuracy and Centre Of Excellence accepts no responsibility for errors or omissions associated with Centre Of Excellence Online Services (whether negligent or otherwise); and (b) the Centre Of Excellence disclaims any duty of care and excludes any liability for any loss or damage arising directly or indirectly as a result of you or any other person using or relying on the information contained in Centre Of Excellence Online Services for whatever purpose or whatever manner.
- The Centre of Excellence in Peer Support (Mental Health) has the right to remove from the Centre of Excellence Online Services any materials that breach these Terms and Conditions of Use and/ or any other material it considers inappropriate.
- If a moderator deems that you have not adhered to the Guidelines on the Forum, they may edit your post to bring it within the Guidelines. An * will appear in place of the edited content. If there is too much content to edit then you will be asked to re-submit your post. You will also receive an email explaining your breach and how to avoid it in future.
- If a moderator deems that you have not adhered to the Guidelines in the Forum you will be warned privately and your breach will be explained to you. If a more serious breach has occurred or you are continuing to breach the Guidelines you can be excluded from the Forum, and banned temporarily or permanently from using all Centre of Excellence Online Services.
- A banned user may appeal their banning to the Peer Support Project Coordinator. A decision on whether the ban remains in place will be made by the Peer Support Project Coordinator after consideration of all the circumstances involved.
Suicidal thoughts and feelings are always serious and require urgent and immediate attention. IF YOU ARE FEELING SUICIDAL, SEEK IMMEDIATE HELP FROM AN APPROPRIATE SERVICE.
The following services are equipped to deal with suicidal thoughts and feelings and can provide immediate 24-hour help:
1300 651 251 www.suicideline.org.au
Lifeline: 13 11 14
Kids Helpline: 1800 55 1800
Police or ambulance: 000
Your GP or local hospital’s emergency department
Check the front page of the phone book for local 24-hour crisis telephone counselling services
Remember, YOU set the scene for the Centre of Excellence Online Services
The moderators and Peer Support Project Coordinator are here to ensure that the Online Services are safe, supportive environments for us all to connect with others and support each other – but these services are primarily about and for YOU, the user. Use them well.
Feedback and Suggestions
Last revision date: 23 August 2011